How to Write a Discussion (Analysis) Chapter in a Thesis
Discussion and analysis are probably the most critical components of any thesis. These are also the longest sections of your thesis, which require thoroughness, conciseness, attention to details, brevity, and extensive use of primary and secondary evidence.
Place New Order
Useful Tips on Writing Correct Thesis Discussion
The below article is meant to help students learn about proper thesis discussion writing. We will provide you with major objectives and professional approaches to writing. After that, you will have an opportunity to learn about certain steps that can be taken to write a brilliant dissertation discussion chapter.
Objectives and approaches to writing a Discussion Chapter
When you need to write a dissertation or thesis discussion chapter, do not forget about the major objectives of writing. You should state the interpretations, declare your point of view, explain the effects of the research findings, as well as predict and suggest future research work.
Remember that dissertation or thesis discussion chapter is perceived as the most crucial part of one’s work. That is why it is quite normal when a student copes with this chapter, not for the first time.
Useful Steps on Writing Effective Discussion
If you want to be sure that this chapter is easy to understand, it should be precise and short. However, the discussion chapter should also state, elaborate, support, provide explanation and even defend all your logical conclusions. Remember that your writing should not simply repeat the results, it should be a commentary. Do not write about any distracting issues. They will only confuse the reader and will hide the importance of your message. It is difficult to create a perfect piece of writing, but you should try to make your readers distinguish between facts and speculation.
Follow the below-provided steps and you will cope with your thesis or dissertation successfully:
- The discussion chapter structure should start from specific information and end with the general one. You should slowly transit from some narrow confines to the general facts about the selected discipline.
- Try to stick to the general tone while writing the introduction. It is easy to do this, just use the same main terms, same viewpoint, and same tense use in the introductory paragraphs.
- You can also rewrite the research questions and restate the hypothesis presented in the introduction. After that, you can provide the answers to the major research questions. Remember that answers should be supported by the research findings.
- Explain the relation of your results to the expectations of the study and of course literature. Explain why the obtained results can be accepted and how they can fit in with the already existing knowledge about the selected subject. Correct and relevant citations should be used here.
- Pay close attention to the obtained results related to the posed research questions. It does not matter whether the findings were statistically important.
TopThesis - TOP Quality THESIS Writing
- Inform your targeted audience about the principles, patterns, and major relationships detected in your findings, and collect them into one perspective. This information should be sequential. First, give the answer, provide the results, and then cite reliable and academic sources. To enhance the main argument, you can point the readers to graphs and figures.
- All your answers should be defended. You can do it in the following two ways: explain the validity of the answers and present the other answers' shortcomings. You can strengthen your viewpoint by giving both sides of the argument.
- The conflicting data should be identified in your work as well. Discuss and assess any explanations that conflict with your results. It can help to win with your targeted audience and make them feel sympathetic to the knowledge offered by your study.
- Discuss any findings that are perceived as unexpected. Start with the paragraph related to the finding and provide its description. Identify any potential weaknesses and limitations present in your study. Provide comments regarding the significance of the described limitations to your findings and their interpretation. Explain how they can influence their validity. This section cannot have an apologetic tone. Remember that every study has its limitations and weaknesses.
- You should make a summary of the main implications of the findings (this should be done regardless of statistical importance). Make a few recommendations regarding any further research.
- You should prove the significance of the study results and their conclusions and describe the ways they can influence our comprehension of the discussed issue(s).
- Finally, you should be specific but brief when discussing everything related to the study.
Now you know how to write a discussion paper. We hope that our article inspired you to start writing your paper. You can always find a dissertation discussion example and see its structure.
You cannot write a great thesis without using a large body of literature. Every claim you make must be supported with credible and verifiable information. The data you provide in these sections will either support or nullify your hypotheses or assumptions. In either case, these results will inform the direction of future research activities.
You will need to devote a few paragraphs to the discussion and analysis of your results
Consider the requirements for your thesis and ask your thesis supervisor for more detail if you are not sure how much space your discussion and analysis chapter must take. Begin the section with the strongest evidence that either supports or refutes your thesis. If you have any doubts, ask for help, and we will be happy to provide you with sufficient evidence to support your conclusions.
While working on the analysis and discussion chapters of your project, we will adhere to the rules and requirements provided by your supervisor. We will consider the terms and technical vocabulary that must be used in the body of your thesis. We try not to overload discussions with too many technical words so that your reader could understand your conclusions.
Otherwise, we will include a glossary of terms to explain the meaning of the most complicated words. With our writers, you will not have any trouble submitting a perfect thesis on time!