Effective Tips for a Cause-Effect Essay Writing
Essays of the cause and effect variety are concerned with what causes things to happen i.e. why they happened and the effects of these causes i.e. what happens or results from them. Put another way, this type of essay explains how a particular thing happened and what the results of that are. Because the primary objective of a cause and effect essay is to be informative, it should have a professional tone and the information presented should be factual. All information should be presented in as convincing a manner as possible to persuade readers to agree and/or accept that the causes and the effects described are believable.
The following are a few points to bear in mind if you are asked to write a cause and effect essay:
- Familiarize yourself with your chosen topic. It will be difficult to convince readers if you are not sufficiently sure yourself and if you do not have sufficient information to present.
- You should not write from the first-person perspective. This will mean the information is limited to yours. By contrast, statements can make a point forcefully and these will not be limited solely to your view.
- Set out your topic’s main point or idea in the introduction or opening paragraph and make sure you use the words “causes” and “effects.” While you need not be too specific, you should include statements linking both of these.
- You should remain focused on causes and effects that are related and direct while leaving out those that are remote and/or indirect.
- Strengthen the points you make with supporting evidence. This could be facts, statistics, anecdotes, or things you have observed yourself.
- All your causes, and likewise your effects, should be presented in an order that is structured and logical until your point has been clearly conveyed.
- Use transitions to move smoothly from paragraph to paragraph. It is important to connect each paragraph’s topic to the preceding one and your essay’s main point or idea.
- Sum up everything you covered in the concluding or closing paragraph of your essay.
By keeping these tips in mind and remembering to stick to your “causes” and your “effects,” you have the ingredients for a successful essay.
How to Write Cause and Effect Essay Papers: Expert Tips
Before writing the paper, sketch its skeleton. The well-thought and detailed structure will help you to write a successful paper. That is why it is crucial to make a plan of action. You should know that the wheel has already been invented so do not waste your time. It means that the structure to every essay type has already been drafted by someone smart. So, do you want to know how to write a cause-and-effect essay? Keep on reading and you will know what is a cause and effect essay!
First of all, it is vital to select an eye-catching cause and effect essay topic. This essay can be of three kinds. They are differentiated by the relationship number between the cause and effect. Let’s talk about the types of this essay and give an answer to, “how to write a cause and effect essay?”
1. More than one cause, and only one effect
In this essay, you need to prove that many causes can influence one effect. The aim is to examine various causes. They should be from various fields. Then you need to prove that they all lead to one effect. For instance, if your topic is WWII, you can write about the following causes: culture, politics, history, and many more factors that led to the war.
Such essay type can be structured as follows:
- Main Body
- Cause number 1
- Cause number 2
- Cause number 3 (etc.)
- The effect due to the discussed causes
2. Only one cause, and more than one effect
This essay type is aimed at showing different effects of a certain problem, decision or situation. Here, it is important to show the writer’s knowledge analytical thinking skills in the selected field of study. You do not have to present any arguments or persuade your audience in something. Demonstrate in-depth knowledge about the selected issue. In case you aware of the reason why it occurred, writing about the effects will be much easier for you.
- Such essay type can be structured as follows:
- Main Body
- One Cause
- Effect number 1
- Effect number 2
- Effect number 3 (etc.)
3. Chain of different causes and effects
This essay type is considered to be the most difficult one. The chain of logic has to be maintained to show the sequence of events and actions that led to the chain end. The positive thing is that this essay type is perceived as the most intriguing and interesting task. However, one has to be patient and spend a lot of time and energy to write it correctly.
The structure of this essay can be the following:
- Main Body
- Cause number 1
- Effect number 1 = Cause number 2
- Effect number 2 = Cause number 3
- Effect number 3 = Cause number 4 (etc.)
How to begin writing when cause and effect essay structure has been sketched?
You will make the writing easier when you structure every paragraph and gather correct examples. The final version of your paper may not have a classic five-paragraph structure. The number of paragraphs will depend on the chain of causes and effects.
When you begin writing an introduction, provide the readers with the general idea of your paper. A cause and effect essay thesis should be provided in the last introductory paragraph. The thesis statement will serve as the indication of what you will write in the main body. Inform the readers why the discussed issue is crucial for modern life. For instance, when you decided to write an essay about the Caribbean crisis, you can mention that the Cold War effects are still present in modern politics.
In the main body, you can write about numerous causes that led to many effects. In case you have already collected all the causes and effects and logically assembled them, you will not experience any problems with essay writing. However, it is important to pay attention to certain aspects. Make every paragraph of the same length. Readers will perceive it better. Unconvincing and confusing causes should be avoided. If you fail to do it, the readers will notice that you aimed to meet the word count. As a result, they will not read your essay to the end.
Make sure that the discussed causes are related to the effects mentioned in the essay. It is crucial when your task is to write a chained essay (the third type of essay). Your goal is to show that each cause is relevant to the result. Do not be lazy and write a detailed essay outline before the actual writing.
The conclusion must provide a logical summary of your cause and effect essay thesis. The logical and coherent conclusion will prove that you have a deep understanding of the discussed issue. Sometimes, a conclusion is considered a challenging task. Write it as soon as you are done with the main body. We hope that you have received a detailed answer to your question, “How to write a cause and effect essay?”