Many high school graduates want to know how to ask for a letter of recommendation for college. It is required to make sure that you are going to enter the college you like. Since it is an important and difficult task, many students experience trouble getting letters of recommendation. They do not know whom to ask about writing it and what it should even be about. If you experience similar issues, this article will help you.
Creating Effective Recommendation Letter
You should know that you can ask your professor or your boss to write a recommendation letter for you. These people will be able to talk about your personal qualities, skills, and intellectual abilities. It is also necessary to know how to ask for a letter of recommendation in person and whom exactly to choose. Keep in mind that the person who will write a recommendation letter for you needs to meet the following requirements:
- They need to know you very well. Whether you choose your boss or your professor, it should be a person you know well. Do not try to find someone who only has a good title, but does not know a thing about you. This person needs to be able to tell about you and reveal your best qualities to others. Most importantly, they need to be aware of your motivation, personal skills, sociability, moral qualities, dependability, and civic responsibility.
- They have to be aware of your leadership skills. If you have trouble getting letters of recommendation, keep in mind that the person who writes this letter for you needs to know about your leadership qualities. Ask to tell about your potential and about the way you can grow as an individual. It is important to also write about your work habits, ability to work under stress, work ethic, as well as listening skills, self-confidence, planning skills, and abilities to look for solutions to problems and difficult situations.
- They should be able to discuss your intellectual skills. Whoever you choose to write a recommendation letter needs to know how you are developed intellectually. They should mention your expertise and discuss your creativity, ability to participate in a classroom discussion, communication skills, research skills, as well as critical thinking skills.
- They need to be experienced in your field. If you know about the previously mentioned requirements, but still do not know how to ask for a letter of recommendation for college, keep in mind that you need to find someone who has expertise in your chosen field. It will add value to your application, if they write about the work you have already done in the field, discuss your motivation, and tell what you have accomplished.
- They need to have a specific kind of education. It is logical that the person you ask to write a recommendation letter is educated in your field. It is as important as all the previous requirements.
In addition to all these requirements, it is a good idea to write a letter outline for the person who is going to write your recommendation letter. In the outline, you should add information about your accomplishments, relevant work experience, strengths, skills, and other personal information. It can help better write a recommendation letter for you and consider everything that is important for your application.
When you are getting ready to graduate from high school and look for a college, keep in mind that you have to know how to ask for a letter of recommendation in person. Find a person you will ask to write recommendation letter in advance. If you develop a good relationship with them and get to know them well, you will not experience trouble getting letters of recommendation. This whole process will become much easier for you.